Massage Therapy is a hands-on manipulation of the soft tissues of the body (muscles and connective tissues). Manipulating and re-aligning these body parts speeds healing, reduces pain, and helps improve the functioning of the immune system. Massage Therapy may also alleviate stress and depression as well as symptoms of migraines, soft tissue injuries, strains/sprains, lower back pain, and muscle tension.
Neuromuscular Massage Therapy (NMT) is an advanced massage technique that focuses on stimulating the origin and insertion of the muscles as well as areas of the muscle that exhibit metabolic changes called Myofascial Trigger Points.
These Myofascial Trigger Points are located within taut bands of the muscles and are treated with the application of sustained pressure. Longitudinal strokes along the muscles fibres are also used in a specific manner to reduce hypertonicity of the muscles.
NMT balances the Central Nervous System with the musculoskeletal system and corrects any imbalances between the two by manipulating the soft tissues of the body (muscles, tendons and connective tissue).
As a result of NMT, chronic pain is reduced, the function of joints and muscles is improved, and range of motion is increased. The NMT technique also speeds the healing process by facilitating the release of endorphins.
Neuromuscular Massage Therapy is used to treat the following five elements that cause pain:
- Ischemia - lack of blood supply to soft tissues, causing hypersensitivity to touch.
- Trigger Points - highly irritated points in muscles which refer pain to other parts of the body.
- Nerve compression and entrapment - pressure on a nerve by soft tissue or calcific changes in the bone.
- Postural distortion-imbalance of the muscular system resulting from the misalignment of the body.
- Biomechanical dysfunction - imbalance of the musculoskeletal system resulting in faulty movement patterns during activities of everyday life and athletic performance.
Neuromuscular Massage Therapy is used to treat conditions such as chronic pain, sciatica, temporo-mandibular joint dysfunction, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, rotator cuff dysfunction, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, shin splints, tension headaches, and more. It is used to release spasms, contractions, adhesions (scar tissue), and assists in venous and lymphatic flow, thereby reducing swelling and edema.